The 10 Best FPS games for Mac Mac Gamer HQ picks its favorite shooters, including worthy free FPS games for Mac. Fortunately, First-Person Shooters (FPS) allow us. » First-Person Shooter First-Person Shooter Games Torrents On this page of BBDTorrents you can download First-Person Shooter games torrents, most of them are for PC platform, also cracked by release groups like CODEX or RELOADED.
The weekend's here and if you're worried about being bored, here are some great FPS games you can play on your Mac.
This time around I'm focusing on some of my favorite first person shooters (FPSs) that are currently available for the Mac platform, ranging in price from free to not free. Locked and loaded? Good. Here we go...
- $39.99 - Download now
Every once in a while a sequel comes along that completely eclipses the original game. Such is the case with Borderlands 2, which took everything that was good about the original Borderlands and made it better.
For the uninitiated, Borderlands 2 drops you on the surface of a hostile alien world called Pandora. You're essentially a treasure hunter on a mission. You can choose from one of four different character classes, each with unique abilities, and in a nod to role playing games, you can develop special abilities by assigning skill points that you gain through experience. Borderlands 2 also features a weapons randomizing system that produces an almost unlimited number of variations on handguns, rifles, grenades and other weapons.
A hilarious script and great voice acting provides you with constant laughs through the 30+ hours of single-player fun your first time through (and you will replay this game to get experience with each character class). Add to that fantastic cooperative multiplayer gameplay and downloadable content to extend the game, and you've got a potent mix that will keep you coming back again and again.
Aspyr makes the game available through the Mac App Store and Steam (which we've linked above). Our recommendation is to go for the Steam version so you can get cross-platform multiplayer - Mac App Store downloaders are relegated to Mac-to-Mac play only through Game Center.
Download First Person For Samp
- $24.99 - Download now
Few recent FPS's have had the impact of the BioShock series. The game struck gold for its detailed storyline involving Rapture, a Randian utopia far beneath the surface of the ocean, run amuck. A survival horror game, BioShock 2 puts you in the role of a Big Daddy - a genetically altered human encased in a heavily armored diving suit. Rapture is filled with psychotic and dangerous people who have been altered by a substance that can record their genes, granting them superhuman powers (and, unfortunately, driving them mad).
The game sports multiplayer action too, but unlike Borderlands 2 isn't available from Steam, so the Mac App Store is a safe bet. BioShock 2 is the sequel to the first BioShock, and if you haven't picked that one up, it's definitely worth your time as well, especially at $19.99 price. Both should wet your whistle until BioShock Infinite shows up for the Mac this summer.
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
- $29.99 - Download now
Short of having its superlative sequel on the Mac, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is the next best thing. Sure, it's been around for a while, but this game stands up to the test of time: it's a phenomenal FPS that puts you in the role of U.S. Marines and British SAS commandos as you travel to the U.K, the Middle East, Azerbaijan, Russia and Ukraine on the hunt for international terrorists who plan to detonate a nuclear warhead.
COD4: MW takes a break from past COD games by bringing the action to the modern era, instead of focusing on World War II, which means you have plenty of modern weapons to choose from. It also sports great multiplayer capabilities with plenty of challenges, unlockable perks at matchmaking to make sure you're paired with players of similar abilities.
Team Fortress 2
- Free to play - Download now
A team-based multiplayer first person shooter available through Steam, Team Fortress 2 is almost six years old and still going strong. The game pits two opposing teams against each other in a variety of different modes: Capture the Flag, Control Point, Territorial Control, King of the Hill and more. The play maps vary from the ridiculous to the sublime, and you can choose from nine different player classes, some with offensive capabilities (like the Scout), some better on defense (like the Heavy), and some best for support (such as the Medic).
The game's fun to play not only for its varied gameplay modes and different character classes to master, but also for its cartoon-style art. And it used to be you had to pay for TF2, but Valve made it free to play in 2011. (The company makes money through in-app purchases players make to buy unique equipment and character outfits.)
Download First Person For Samp
Counter Strike: Source
- $19.99 - Download now
The original Counter Strike took the world by storm when it was introduced as a mod for Valve Software's legendary game Half-Life. Valve reworked CS as its own independent game using the Source engine (hence the name). It's a team-based first person shooter that emphasizes accomplishing objectives - kill your opponents, rescue hostages and so on. What makes it a bit different than the rest is that when you're shot, you stay dead until the end of the round - no instant respawning.
Twelve years since its first release, Counter Strike still has a huge following and remains ridiculously popular. Last year Valve released Counter Strike: Global Offensive (seen above), so if you've gotten tired of the original, you can immerse yourself in a new game that features updated content from the original, along with new maps, characters and weapons.
Special Mention: Pathways Into Darkness
- Free - Download now
Before Halo, before Myth, before Marathon, way back in 1993, Bungie Software made a name for itself with Mac gamers with one of the most innovative first person shooters we'd ever seen (and really, we hadn't seen a lot of them, but we knew this one was cool). That game was called Pathways Into Darkness.
Man Up Time has resurrected this 20-year-old masterpiece for modern Mac and they've made it absolutely free. Not 'freemium' - there are no in-app purchases you need to make to keep playing. Free. The game traps you in a mysterious pyramid in the Yucatan that threatens the very survival of the Earth. You must descend into its innermost recesses, battling fearsome monsters to save the world.
PID is a game of its era. Its graphics are quaint and primitive, its interface is awkward by modern standards, but it stands out as a period piece worthy of remembering and enjoying. It's a bit of Mac legend. And it's free, so you have nothing to lose but some download bandwidth.
Your go-to first-person shooters?
Those are my favorite FPS games on the Mac right now, but if there are any other can't-miss shooters on your short list, let me know in the comments below. You can never have too much of an awesome thing!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.shutdown
Coronavirus forces shut down of Today At Apple sessions in US and Canada
Apple has been forced to suspend all of its Today At Apple sessions throughout the U.S. and Canada because of the coronavirus pandemic.
- FPS370 - First Person Shooter Template v.370.20060501A engine for developing firstperson shooters developed in Java using Java3D. This project started out as an example given to a class at Chapman University.
- Urban Terror for Mac and Linux v.4.1Urban Terror™? is a free multiplayer firstpersonshooter developed by FrozenSand, that (thanks to the ioquake3-code) does not require Quake III Arena anymore. It is available for Windows, Linux and Macintosh. The current version is 4.1. Urban ...
- Sauerbraten 2007_04_15Sauerbraten (a.k.a. Cube 2) is a free multiplayer/singleplayer firstpersonshooter, built as a major redesign of the Cube FPS. Much like the original Cube, the aim of this game is not necessarily to produce the most features & eyecandy possible, ...
- Arabian Flights v.1.4Arabian Flights is a 3d first-personshooter developed in Java using the Java3D library. It is loosely based on the game Magic Carpet. It consits of a 3d-modelled landscape and sprites for the monsters and spells. It runs under anything that runs ...
- AssaultCube v.126.96.36.199AssaultCube, formerly ActionCube, is a free first-person-shooter based on the game Cube. Set in a realistic looking environment, while gameplay stays fast and arcade. This game is all about team oriented multiplayer ...
- Cytadela v.1.0.1A conversion of an Amiga firstpersonshooter. Some say it's a Doom clone, but some argue that it's a Wolf 3D clone. In this single player game you will have to fight many enemies and solve many riddles in order to find a bomb and blow up the ...
- Linux Wrath : The end of klopysoft v.1.03Linux Wrath is a rpg/first personshooter Goal: destroy targets. Created at aueb for the computer graphics course and took us 2 weeks to complete (we were 2 people). Project at: ...
- Odamex v.rc.0.5.6Odamex is a free (as in speech and if you're lucky, beer) client/server multiplayer engine for the classic first-person-shooter Doom. Odamex's goal is to emulate the classic feel of the original, while offering many new aspects to multiplayer ...
- REAL v.01The aim of REAL is to develop a close to real life tactical combat simulation with a high level of realizm based on 3D firstpersonshooter. The first stage of the project will be focused on developing a small engine and level ...
- Unit 85 v.alpha1Unit 85: a first-personshooter, developed as a casual game. It will hopefully become a mission based, 007-style, multiplayer game. The intent is to release this game on a large scale, if it ever gets far enough. It may end up as a simple web-based ...
- Warsow v.1.0Warsow is set in a futuristic cartoonish world where rocketlauncher-wielding pigs and lasergun-carrying cyberpunks roam the streets. It is a completely free, fast-paced first-personshooter for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.Speed and movement is ...
- Vessel v.1.0Vessel will be a real time firstpersonshooter, set in abandoned space ships. These hulks, lost in space years ago, are challenging fields for accomplishing thousands of tasks: item recovery, informations retrieval, alien killing and others.
- Codename: X-Phase v.b1.20Codename: X-Phase is a simple online firstpersonshooter with random generated maps and landscape deformation, written in Java and OpenGL (LWJGL).X-Phase uses it's own engine and runs with Linux, Mac OS X and Windows.
- Battlephone v.1.0Firstpersonshooter featuring single *and* multi-player modes (via JGroups) for your 3D capable Java phone (J2ME, MIDP 2.0, CLDC 1.1, JSR-184).
- Planet Hazard v.6Planet Hazard is open source multiplayer firstperson ...
- Quake Live for Mac OS v.0.1.0.277This is where you can connect and compete with friends and other players from around the world in the hottest firstperson multiplayer game on the web.- A 100% free-to-play arena shooter created and supported by id Software.- Beginner to Pro: ...
- Smokin' Guns v.1.0Smokin' Guns is a GPLv2 licensed firstperson Western style shooter based on the Quake 3 engine (Id Tech 3) developed by a loosely knit team of developers and artists. This project represents the game ...
- Hollow Ground v.1.2.6Hollow Ground is a real time tactical third personshooter. You, and possibly a friend, watch the action from a top-view perspective, and control two of four mercenaries on their way down through the Epsilon Nine bunker. On the way you will have to ...
- EMR Intel - Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge v.3.0.1EMR Intel - Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge 3.0.1 is an impressive and unique scenario based upon the Aleph One engine.It is a first-person action adventure game, featuring an epic and in-depth story line. As a Federation Marine, you start aboard the ...
- Penumbra: Black Plague for Mac OS v.1.0.1A firstperson horror adventure focussing on story, immersion and puzzle solving. Unlike Penumbra: Overture, violence and combat are not even an option - the player has to use his/her wits to guide Philip through his final test, and this makes the ...
- Penumbra: Overture for Mac OS A first person adventure game which focuses on story,
- Cannon shooter online game cannon free online game cannon free online game. Cannon! A
- PlumeBoom: The First Chapter for Mac OS Orniland is a paradise for birds. Thousands live here in
- Sibelius First for Mac OS If youre more comfortable with a guitar or keyboard than the
- Note shooter game Listen and recognize note free online music flash ear
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent for Mac OS A first person survival horror. A game about immersion,
- Urban Terror for Mac and Linux Urban Terror™? is a free multiplayer first person
- Penumbra: Black Plague for Mac OS A first person horror adventure focussing on story,
- Net Spy Pro Personal License - First PC Net Spy Pro Personal License - First PC - Net Spy Pro runs
- BioShock for Mac OS Welcome to Rapture. A city where opportunity awaits those